October 9th, 2017 OBA Meeting Minutes

Olympia Beekeepers Association

October 9th, 2017

Chinook Middle School

 

Meeting called to order at 7:09 pm by Vice President Tim Weible.

Tim asked for any new people that were attending the meeting to please stand. There were three new in attendance.

Tim asked if any changes or corrections needed to be fixed on the minutes from September’s meeting. Glen motioned that the minutes be kept the same, seconded by David and motioned carried unanimously.

There was no beeline published for this month.       

Officers Report:

President Mechele: Not present for report

Membership Chair Duane McBride: It was reported that we are up to 71 paid members in the new bee year cycle. The bee year dues start September 1st to August 31st, 2017.

Treasurer’s report David Bruun: Savings account $4570.73, Checking account $4031.67 and cash on hand $9.30

Past President Laurie Pyne: Not present for a report

Vice President Tim Weible: Shared with the club that he had started an apprenticeship class and that they were 2 weeks into it right now and he will be holding the Celebration of Knowledge at the November meeting for the graduates.

Airport Hive- Frank informed the club that he is currently on his second treatment of Oxalic Acid (OA). He has a total of 5 hives that he is treating. He started at the end of August with the treatment. The treatment is done in 3 cycles and once he is done with the 3 cycles he will be done until the spring.  He also explained what OA was for the new people that were at the meeting and how it works.

The sustainability in prisons project gave an update on their progress. Duane gave the report on Stafford Creek and that it is going well and have 10 students currently in the class. They do have 2 hives out at this location. Anne mentioned that prisoners receive college credit for classes like this one and others that can be accumulated together toward a degree through Evergreen.

Ernie reported that the library is doing well and feel free to check out a book.

Ernie also gave a report on the sustainability group and what they discussed during their meeting. They talked about Varroa mites and different types of treatments to help during the winter months. Also, the group discussed queens and what the difference was between a commercial queen and a queen that is in the hive. Russian queens were also talked about as well. Thomas spoke briefly on what the sustainability group is for and what they do.

Kitty and Roger talked about the mentorship program and that if you are looking for a mentor to see them and fill out a form.  They also reported the Nisqually Watershed Festival was a huge and phenomenal success. They had the observation hive there which was another big hit with the visitors.

Observation hive report: Tim thanked Mareen and Alex for bringing the hive to all of the events that we have had and its always a huge hit and thank you for all their hard work. Mareen let the club know that this would probably be the last observation hive of the season as it is getting to cold.

Governor’s Mansion- Duane let the club know that they are doing well as he had inspected them on October 11th. There are 2 hives there with lots of bees and honey. In one of the hives that were treated for mites had 5 per hundred and the other had 3 per hundred.

Bob Smith let the club know that he had an application for the Bee Culture Magazine if anyone was interested to come see him at the break. He also let the club know that with Tim’s fast track course there will be 2 full courses in before packages arrive. He also liked the idea of having the graduation at the November meeting to incorporate them into the club. The Journeymen class has been meeting for 3 to 4 months now at Roger and Kitties house. If you are a certificated apprenticeship beekeeper and are interested in becoming a Journeyman there will be a new cycle starting up again so contact Roger and Kitty.

It was brought up by a member about if there was going to be a Christmas Party. David said that it typically happens at the December meeting and at the November meeting we will talk more about it and take suggestions.

Tim let the club know that Duane received 2nd place at the Washington State Fair for his Amber honey that he harvested from the Governor’s Mansion.

Break at 7:54 pm. Refreshments provided and raffle tickets sold.

Meeting came back to order at 8:14 pm.

Member Thomas provided our educational portion of the meeting. He did a presentation of his flow hive that he tried out for the first time this year.

Duane let the club know that there was going to be a Beyond Pesticide Hearing for the spraying of Neonicotinoids on the shellfish crop at Willapa Harbor on October 10th at the Lacey Community Center. Beekeepers are encouraged to attended to give a voice against the spraying to help save the bees.

Paul informed the club that the Washington State Beekeepers Association is in the testing phase of their Apprenticeship Class. They are hoping to have it approved by March. They are going to be redoing the Journeyman program as well to be detail specific to Western or Eastern Washington.

Meeting was adjourned at 8:53 pm.

 

September 11th, 2017 OBA Meeting Minutes

Olympia Beekeepers Association

September 11th, 2017

Chinook Middle School

Meeting called to order at 7:16 pm.

Mechele asked if any changes or corrections needed to be fixed on the minutes from August’s meeting. Duane motioned that the minutes be kept the same, seconded by Tim and motioned carried unanimously.

There was no beeline published for this month.

Officers Report:

Membership Chair Duane McBride: We are now in the new bee year. We have 60 paid members before the meeting started and with the members that paid tonight we are probably close to 70. The bee year dues start September 1st to August 31st, 2017.

Treasurer’s report  David Bruun: Savings account $4570.50, Checking account $3358.72 and cash on hand $22.83.

Past President Laurie Pyne: Mansion bees are doing great. We re-queened one of the hives in July and it survived. This week we will start treating for mites.

Vice President Tim Weible: Shared with the club that John Callender a former student of his from Centralia College was going to be relocating out of state and is selling all of his supplies including his apiaries. He passed around a list with all of the items and his phone number for people to contact him with questions or to purchase.

Airport Hive- Frank was not available at the meeting for a report.

The sustainability in prisons project gave an update on their progress. The club is now teaching at Stafford, Cedar Creek and Washington Corrections Center. The inmates receive the certification of completion of the course. Mechele mentioned that members could co teach to help earn Journeyman hours and Paul offered to have another person assist in teaching with him.

Ernie reported that the library is doing well and feel free to check out a book.

Ernie also gave a report on the sustainability group and what they discussed during their meeting. They talked about Varroa mites and how to prepare your hives for the winter. Always be thinking one to two seasons ahead.

Kitty and Roger talked about the mentorship program and that if you are looking for a mentor to see them and fill out a form.  They also are the program coordinators for the Nisqually Watershed that is September 30th, 2017 from 10 am to 4pm. They are looking for volunteers to help during the event. It is very family oriented and a lot of people come through.

Observation hive report: They survived the fair are healthy. They are talking about bringing it to the Nisqually Watershed.

Mechele let the club know that the ballots for Beekeeper of the Year and the Mark Savage Lifetime Achievement Award were available on the front table to vote on during the break.

We are still looking for a program/volunteer coordinator and a committee for our by-laws.

Gail talked to the OBA in regards to the future of the Education. She talked about a few years ago several people including her and Bob meet with Louie Matej, as he was certifying all certificates for the state. The President at that time Gary disbanded the Education Committee. Through the state they formed the Master Beekeepers Association where Gary tried to stop them. This created two separate groups certifying certificates. The Master Beekeeper group wants to change the way the course is taught. They would like to see no tests, they attend classes and show that they are proficient and gain the experience to earn the certificate.

Paul gave input in regards to the Washington State Beekeepers as he is part of a committee of 20 people who are working to redo the whole program. The program is looking into a commercial type frame work and you will be in the program from the beginning to the end of your certification.

Break at 7:56 pm. Refreshments provided and raffle tickets sold.

Meeting came back to order at 8:11 pm where Phil ask that we take a moment of Silence for the people who lost their lives in the 9/11 attack, Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma.

OBA member Bernard Brady provided the club with an example of what Chalk Brood looks like from a hive. Chalk brood attacks the pupa stage and kills it. This piece of the bee then looks like a piece of chalk. There is no cure for chalk brood, it doesn’t kill a hive only weakens it.

Phil provided the club with an update on the Bee Gyms and that they are working properly and he still has a few available.

Ernie showed the club a wooden hive stand that he had made to use in his apiary. This stand could hold frames and hive boxes, it works great for splits. He encouraged members to take measurements and make them for themselves to use.

Meeting was adjourned at 8:42 pm.

Beginning Beekeeper Apprenticeship Course

Hello Everyone,

Below you will find all the information you need to know in regards to the upcoming Washington Masters Beekeeping Apprenticeship Course. There are limited seats available for this course so please email shelbyalbert@rocketmail.com with all names wanting to go forward with the course so we can reserve your spot today.

WHAT: Olympia Beekeepers Association, (OBA), presents the Washington Master Beekeepers Apprenticeship Course.

WHEN: This course will be on Tuesday nights for 6 weeks from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm. Starting Tuesday September 26th, October 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th and because Halloween is on Tuesday the 31st, we will have the last class night on Wednesday November 1st.  Our Graduation Night/Celebration of Knowledge will be November 13th, 2017 during the OBA regular meeting where you will receive your Apprenticeship Certificate from the Washington Master Beekeepers.

WHERE: The Best Buffet Banquet Room located at 5765 Littlerock Road SW, Tumwater, WA 98512, across the street from Costco and Walmart in Tumwater.  There are limited seats available.

COST: Washington Master Beekeepers charge only $10.00 for course registration and your certificate. The OBA sponsors the remainder of the course at no cost to the student.

COURSE DESCRIPTION: Beginning Beekeeping/Apprenticeship 
This course will focus on the hobby, residential and small farm beekeeper. Emphasis will be put on the seasonal care of new hives and colonies. Our style is networking, participation and interaction. Our discussions are tailored to your needs and questions. We have examples and hands-on learning aids. You get to see, hold, analyze, smell and feel what the books only talk about. You will accrue a proactive knowledge base to keep your bees happy, productive, healthy and safe. The course is sanctioned by the Washington Master Beekeepers Association. Upon completion participants will receive an Apprenticeship Certificate.

If you should have any questions please feel free to let me know. I look forward to seeing you soon.

August 14th, 2017 OBA Meeting Minutes

Olympia Beekeepers Association

August 14th, 2017

The Lutheran Church of The Good Shepherd

Meeting was called to order by Mechele at 7:14pm.

Mechele let the club know that the Beeline went out and it was a little different with fun pictures from the fair included. The beeline highlighted the agenda for tonight’s meeting.

Mechele mentioned that membership dues are due now.

Mechele asked if any changes needed to be made to the July meeting minutes. Vice President Tim moved to have the minutes recorded as written with no corrections, it was seconded and the motioned carried.

Next month’s meeting will be back at Chinook Middle School, where the award voting will take place.

Mechele asked Colleen Lynch to come up and talk to the association in regards to information about the Olympia’s Farmers Market. Colleen informed us that they currently have no honey vendor for next year’s farmers market. She was able to talk to the Olympia Farmer’s Market board about what it would take to have a have a honey vendor. They have to be able to know where the honey is actually coming from. They have to come out and inspect your hives as to where the honey came from. They didn’t really give us a NO; it is just a difficult situation and how to approach it. They are open to having someone apply for the spot and see how they can make it work. The club’s input was it would be good to have a presence for not only our club but how to become a beekeeper. They also need to see a rough business plan; the number of hives and the pounds of honey that you can produce that must be verified. It was mentioned that this task could be a possible board positon where they dedicate their time to the Olympia Farmer’s Market and trying to see how we can get a honey vendor in for next year.

We have an upcoming event at the Nisqually Water Shed on September 30th, 2017 between 10 am and 4 pm. Stephanie told the club that this event is geared towards families and it allows us to educate them on bees and provide information to them.

Officer Reports:

Treasurer’s report David Bruun- Savings account- $4570.50, Checking account- $2711.52, cash on hand- $19.84. Mechele let the club know that we are adding $984.00 in cash from the sales of honey at the fair.

Dues are coming up to be paid so the total will increase.

Membership Chair Duane McBride- reported that we have 204 paid members currently.

Mechele let the club know that when Jack was first involved in the club that there were only 16 people in the beginning.

Eloise will be donating books to the club for our library.

Secretary report Shelby Albert- Nothing to report at this time.

Vice president Tim Weible- Mentioned to the club that the fair was a big hit and thanked everyone who volunteered and helped out to make it a success.

Projects:

Governor’s mansion- Laurie let the club know that they will be re-queening one of the hives with a Laurie Miller Queen, Jeff and her will check it tomorrow to see if she survived the new placement. If not they are going to see if there is any way that they could combine with airport hive with the walk away spilt that they have.

Observation hive- Mechele wanted to know how they were able to keep the bees so calm and less stressed during the fair. The couple that manages the hives let us know that they ensured that the frames had honey and pollen to minimize stress by rotating queens to that box. They combined two colonies and transferred the queen successfully as they were not happy with the laying pattern.

Ron and Phil had the observation hive at the Grays Harbor; they only had a couple of issues with the hive. Some kid put his finger near the vent hole and got stung.

Grays Harbor had a lot of people as they are on the fair way which drew a lot of attention. Thank you to all who volunteered to help out.

Mechele gave a summary of the Thurston County Fair and how we did as a club on honey sales. We averaged 3 cases a day of a 12 oz. jar. We sold the 12 oz. jars for $7 each. The honey cost $1.80 a pound, 0.50 Cents per jar. We had assorted honey sitx which we sold for 4 for $1 and then we had a case of original honey for people that stopped by the booth to observe.

Currently the club provides the port with 30 pounds of honey. Our plan is to renegotiate with the port for honey. Typically the port auctions off the honey.

Mechele thanked Paul for allowing us to sell honey at the Thurston County Fair and also all the volunteers who helped out.

There were only a couple of signs sold while at the fair. There are a couple of garden groups that are interested in the signs.

Annie provided the club with an update on the Survey responses. She received 50 Survey responses back by email and phone. There was a lot of good feedback that was received to be used in the long term for our goals. She let us know that she was able to sit down and interview Jack and in 1968 he produced 32,000 pounds of comb honey. When he was first involved in the OBA there were only 16 members. Annie was wondering if any members knew exactly when the club originated. Someone mentioned 1990-1991.

Mechele let the club know that she has come across some old Beelines that use to get mailed out to members. Mechele wanted to know if we wanted to vote on putting the old Beelines on our website for members to view. Annie motioned that we vote to put the beelines on the website, David seconded the motion, all approved and the motion carried.

7:55pm Break

Phil let those members that ordered a bee gym that they were available for pick up during the break.

8:14 Raffle

8:21pm Meeting resumed

Mechele brought it to the clubs attention that our name on Beekeepers is two separate words not combined. We can file an Amendment with the Secretary of State to change the name for $20. This would allow consistency both for our UBI and Federal Identification Number.  Annie motioned that we spend the $20 to correct our name, Tim seconded the motion, motion carried to make the name change.

The OBA has its own phone number of 360-515-7274, it is $9 for unlimited extensions which will allow for people to call in to the direct line and choose to speak to the Vice president or the Treasurer. They can leave a voicemail which can then be transcribed into an email at no extra expense.

Software discussion- Mechele mentioned to the club about possibly looking into getting a software database that could help track inventory and members that we have. The database system is called Wild Apricot. This database would allow us to keep all the information, have an online inventory and could allow sending out mass emails to members of upcoming events and meetings. This program would allow up to 10 administrators. With this new database suggestion there is still some unsureness of how it will work and not a lot of people on board. We will discuss at another time once we can show how the program will benefit our association. We will try to establish a task force with a board member, non-board member and the website chair Nathan as to how our website can do the same functions as the new software.

Annie is going to work on our strategic plan as an association and present to the club so our members can vote on the plan.

Memberships were brought up again and that they should be good for a specific day an example would be that of dues begin paid June 1st to June 1st the following year.

Paul brought up that pro-rating the membership is mentioned in the by-laws and back in 2013 it was dues at the beginning of January and now the dues are due in August and there was not vote to accept that and no current rule for the membership dues.

At the next meeting we will hold the award selections once we are back at Chinook.

Meeting adjourned at 9:02pm