Attendees: Nathan and David in person; Catie, Lynn, and Camy on Zoom

Minutes & goals

  • Minutes from last meeting approved by Nathan and Catie
  • Goals from last meeting reviewed by Camy
  • Lynn moves that we approve the minutes and goals from last meeting, all agree

Bee Faire evaluation

  • Roy emailed vendors and asked them what they thought, no responses yet
  • Harold mentioned that he didn’t get a lot of business out of it, wants to come to meetings more often
  • Other vendors seemed happy
  • We’d love Roy to be a member of the board

Membership update

  • End 2022 126 members, 5 lifetime members
  • Currently 87 paid for 2023, increase of 3 since March 13th
  • Let Catie know if there is better or more info she can provide in her membership update
  • New and renewing members need to use the website to sign up and pay for membership. It’s the easiest way for everyone! Payments by check are very unclear without an associated member login record. Payment by check MUST include name, address, phone, and email so that a member login can be created to account for the payment. If a member pays by check at a meeting, help them to use the computer at the meeting to sign up online at the meeting.
    • Nathan has double checked that you CAN pay by check on the website. It’s the honor system that you will send the check in.
    • David has heard that there is no email confirmation for some. Nathan will look into it to make sure it’s sending to everyone.
    • Catie will look into opportunity when a new member joins or renews online to send a welcome letter reiterating membership benefits.
  • Catie would like to start a member highlight article for the beeline – who they are, how many hives they have, what they joined for, what they like about beekeeping
    • Interest? Yes
    • Who wants to volunteer to go first? Lynn suggests a standard set of questions sent to all Board members – Catie will do it
    • Maybe also gather pictures
    • Nathan suggests setting up a Google form to collect the data – Catie & Camy will create the form
    • Suggest Ryan to go first as the mentorship chair
    • Suggest lifetime members go first as well
  • Catie would like to propose updates to members area of the website – did a comparative review of beekeeping clubs in WA and what they have on their websites for members. Bring our website up to speed.
    • Catie will provide a current state/future state
    • Nathan suggests website subcommittee get together – Nathan, Catie, Camy – to discuss and make changes live
    • Catie – send times you would be available to meet to Nathan and Camy


  • Ocean Shores library – beekeeping 101 class needs an instructor – must find someone in the next month
    • Paul add to Beeline?
  • Yelm Pollinator Fair – want OBA to set up a booth to talk about beekeeping, no set date yet, we think it’s a good idea but need volunteers to do it
  • Idea from Lynn – Need a standard presentation of beekeeping 101 so that anyone could take it and go out and give it
    • WSBA has something that they can provide to us
    • Nathan will look into it more
    • Suggest putting it on the website

Purchasing honey

  • Purchased 50 lbs
  • Put something out on OBA members Facebook, if we do an order of bottles for the club, would there be members who want to participate in that order to get a better price
    • Nathan has done the research and the best place to get jars is web restaurant store
  • Recommendation to add a note in the Beeline to gauge interest (Paul), set a date deadline and a minimum for go-no/go (Nathan)
  • Nathan will place an order at least to cover honey sales; markets and the fair

Paul was planning on getting the next Beeline out today

Club membership in state organizations

  • WSBA – join as a club, mentioned to members at last meeting and there was interest – need to formalize that – $1 per member at the end of the prior year (end 2022, had 131 members)
  • WSMB – as well? Don’t want to show any favorites. Funds available for clubs from both organizations – we could become club of the year, they are also looking into insurance to be able to cover clubs
    • Find out the cost – Only $5?!
  • David motions to join both organizations, Camy seconds
  • Camy – complete both registrations and work with David to pay the fee
  • Nathan – Promote membership on the website


  • Nathan bought a new uncapping tray, a cutter for foundation-less frames, bottom boards (sold some already)
  • Attended the last apprenticeship class – said we have enough equipment to set up three hives, no one has jumped on it yet – not worthwhile keeping
  • Nathan’s daughter is thinking of doing the Freedom Farmers, Yelm Hwy and Blvd, program there next year, thinking about adding bees in – something the club could actively get involved with, helping local youth, would be good PR for the club.
  • Lynn thinks it should be brought up at a meeting, Nathan will pursue it and come to next meeting with more info


  • Nathan got a new library bookcase with more room, needs help organizing it better

Meeting topics/speakers through June

  • David added speaker for June
  • Nathan will confirm April speaker

Quarterly board meeting tentative schedule – first Saturday of each quarter. For 2023; April 1, July 1, October 7