The Board is formalizing regular board meetings. We held our first quarter, goal setting board meeting in January. You can read the minutes for this here. we have decided to make sure we are holding these meetings quarterly. All members are welcome at these meetings, but they are designed to keep the association functioning and allow the board to discuss items that need attention.
When? Saturday, April 1st @ 11am.
Where? Swantown Inn, Grand Victorian Ballroom.
- Approval of January Board Meeting minutes.
- Refresher on the goals that were set from this meeting (Camy).
- Bee Faire evaluation.
- Membership, update from Catie.
- Ocean Shores Library
- Yelm Pollinator Fair
- Purchase of Honey (Nathan)
- Purchase of bottles for purchased honey.
- Allowance for members to add to a group purchase.
- Newsletter update by Paul.
- Club membership in State Organizations?
- Membership were keen to support WASBA. Cost is $1 per member. Formalize?
- Allows for us to submit for club of the year.
- Should we do likewise for Washington State Master Beekeepers? If so cost?
- New Business?
At the March 13th meeting of the Olympia Beekeepers Association, the club will host some locally-based honey bee vendors for you to visit.
Each vendor will have a table where you can meet with them.
You can learn what they have to offer in 2023, including: nucs and packages, delivery schedules and locations, prices, and more.
Note that our regular business meeting will be streamed (via Zoom), along with the vendor introductions. However, to get the most out of this meeting, it really requires you be here!
6:00 – 6:30: Our regular monthly business meeting.
6:30 – 6:45: Vendors will introduce themselves and give an overview of their offerings.
6:45: The Bee Faire will begin.
1431 11th Ave SE
Olympia WA 98501
Swantown Inn has limited car park space, but plenty of parking along the street on Central. Please only park in the driveway if you have mobility issues.
For questions or more detail, please email email@example.com.
Board Meeting – Planning for 2023
Saturday, January 21st, 2023, 11am to 1pm
Swantown Inn, The Grand Victorian Ballroom
1431 11th Ave SE, Olympia WA
Swantown Inn has limited car park space, but plenty of parking around the corner on Central. Only park up the drive if you have mobility issues.
Note: This is an in person meeting, and we will be making big decisions for the year, so would love to see all our board members, and any other interested members in attendance.
- Welcome new board members.
- Financial Report – David
- Clean up of current authorized account holders?
- Membership Report – Catie
- Renewals, Brand new members, etc.
- Membership Software – Nathan
- Initial Cost was $133.50 (Purchased on sale)
- If we want continued support ongoing is $198.50 (unless a special arises)
- Planning for 2023
- Meetings – Speakers? Topics?
- Nick Naeger – WSU – Fungi and Bees (Nathan reached out)
- Education – Levels? Costs?
- Gail and Margaret have a Apprenticeship Class set for February 8th.
- Library – Accessibility? Budget for new books?
- Equipment Lending – What is needed? What is not? Budget?
- Discuss possibility of selling used hives to members, no use in storing indefinitely. Discuss.
- Demonstration hives – Move to Fairgrounds?
- New Business
- Club Apiary – Tenino has offered a property.
- Anything from the floor?
We are holding elections at the November meeting.
We have recently talked with a few of the current board members and nominees and they have decided they would like to decline the nomination. If you are interested please reach out to the President, the association is only as good as it’s volunteers!.
You may nominate yourself or someone else. Preferably before November so we can reach out to that member and discuss the expectations and see their willingness to serve. Currently we have the following nominations;
- Vice President Nathan Allan (Currently Appointed)
- Secretary Camy Naasz
- Treasurer David Bruun (Currently appointed President)
- Membership Catie Holstein
- Education Chair Gail Booth
- Outreach Chair Steve Walker
- Librarian Lynn Phillipi
- Mentor Chair Brian Henn
This is a exciting time for the club. Coming out of the pandemic, getting members back on track for “Education, Training and Support” is our priority!
Murder Hornets! Did we get your attention?
Thurston County Fairgrounds
3054 Carpenter Rd SE
Lacey, WA 98503
Monday September 12th 2022
Heritage Hall – It’s the main building to the right, as you enter the main gate.
Guest speaker: Cassie Cichorz from Washington Department of Agriculture, Plant Protection-Pest Program for an update on the Northern (Asian) Giant Hornet.
See their website for the latest: https://agr.wa.gov/departments/insects-pests-and-weeds/insects/hornets/citizen-science/adopt-a-wasp